Struggling

Discussion in 'Coping with loss' started by Ed Miceli, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Ed Miceli

Ed Miceli New Member

My baby lost her battle with Lymphoma very early on 10/15/15. I am really struggling how fast this disease took her. Why do so many dogs and cats have this disease? There's got to be a reason and now I'm on a mission to find out what the hell is going on. I will share all that i discover.

Ed

4-year old Bruno likes this.
  2. Ted Schneck (Founder)

Ted Schneck (Founder) Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Ed.

Unfortunately, this terrible disease is affecting so many dogs (many experts estimate that over 25% of all dogs will die of cancer, and for dogs over 10 years old, that number jumps to 50%) -- and unfortunately the problem seems to be getting worse, not better.

While some of this is natural and unavoidable, our dogs do seem to be up against a lot these days -- commercial dog foods that provide limited canine nutrition, pesticides sprayed in our parks and gardens, chemicals in our homes, pesticide based flea and related treatments that we apply to our pets, vaccination after vaccination that overstimulates their immune system, etc., etc.

I remember when my dog Marty died of cancer, one consolation was that I became aware of these problems, and knew that I could use the things I'd learned to protect my next dog. To hopefully change the ways cared for her, so I could make sure she stayed cancer-free and never had to suffer through the same terrible disease.

So while I'm so sorry for you and your loss, I'm hopeful that any lessons learned will go to make the lives of our future best friends better.

Please let me know if there's anything I can share with you to help with your dog cancer prevention mission.

Warmly,
    Ted Schneck

liisa likes this.
  3. Kelli

Kelli Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss Ed. Dogs are the most faithful companions who love us humans through anything and in turn we love them the same or even more. How long did your dog battle lymphoma? I don't know your particular situation obviously but as a fellow animal lover I know you did everything you could to help your dog live as long as possible. If only all animals would be loved and cared for like you cared for your companion until the end. Maybe in time you'll be ready to adopt again as time does heal all wounds. Again I'm really sorry for your loss.

4. Kelli

Kelli Member

Ted I'm hope you are doing a little better as each day passes. So sorry for your loss.

5. Ed Miceli

Ed Miceli New Member

Ted and Kelli thank you so much for your kind words. It's been 6 difficult weeks along with Thanksgiving and Bunny's 9th birthday on 11/26/15. Things are getting better but miss the little baby a lot. Just needed some time to work through everything that has occurred this year.

6. Snowflake

Snowflake New Member

I know it has been about 6 months since you lost your baby :( I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy but you learn to live with it. One day when you cross that same rainbow bridge Bunny will be there to greet you. My heart is with you.

liisa likes this.
  7. Kelli

Kelli Member

Ed, my dog Kelli just lost her battle with lymphoma on Nov. 1st after 13 months. Luckily while she was undergoing treatment for 8 out of those 13 months her quality of life was very good. I will miss her terribly but I'm at peace with the fact she did not suffer much until the very end at which point we made the decision to end her life.

8. Ashley Holmes

Ashley Holmes New Member

Hi !
    I can feel you regrading the loss of your pet. It's just ironic that no matter how much we take care of them they still end up getting those deadly diseases. It's hard but we need to move on. At least ,we will be one step ahead in these kinds of situations in the future.

9. Nancy Westrell

Nancy Westrell New Member

So sorry to hear you lost your Kelli. And very sad for you, too, Marty. Such a heartbreak.

10. Zeppe's mom

Zeppe's mom New Member

We always wonder how we can love these creatures as much as we do - and we do it over and over again. They come into our lives and give us love and devotion, and a friendship of sorts that is very often much more reliable than the friendship of our own kind. We learn from them and they make us better people. But, they do not EVER live long enough. So we grieve - and after time we let another bit of love and sunshine enter our lives. And we do it again, – why? Because we are dog people - and we know a good thing when we have it.

Ashley Holmes likes this.
  11. Ashley Holmes

Ashley Holmes New Member

Hi Zeppe's mom,

I love your words because I can see myself doing that :)
    I keep on doing it again and again even though I know I will be in the same process of grieving again.
    I don't regret it. I will always cherish the time I've got to spend with my dogs whether it'll be for long, years to come, or even if it'll be just only until this day :)

12. liisa

liisa New Member

I used to be the same, but having lost Coco (T cell cancer) less than three months previously and subsequently learning that another of my dogs (Mikka) has bladder cancer - I've decided to never adopt another dog.

Trying to deal with the loss of Coco whilst also trying to deal with the future loss of Mikka (now knowing the horror of trying so hard to slow the process and having to deal with the unavoidable outcome) is way beyond a step too far :(.

13. Ashley Holmes

Ashley Holmes New Member

I know that dreaded feeling liisa since I just recently lost my pup who's just been with us in just 3 months. Just last year we also lost 2 pups. It took a while before I manage to accept it.
    Give yourself time to think when you'll be prepared again to adopt a dog. I completely understand how you feel. I hope you'll feel better soon :)

14. Zeppe's mom

Zeppe's mom New Member

Last Friday I took my Zeppe to the vet for his all to regular blood tests - having had a transfusion the Saturday (RBCs at 16 before - 21 after transfusion) before I was hoping that his RBCs would be stable - but they were not. They were lower 15.9 - I was simply not prepared to put him down right then and there so I asked them to do another transfusion to buy a little time. This Monday his RBCs were at 25 and we drove to Pullman WA (WSU Vet Hospital) - they did a bone aspiration and found that the lymphoma is in his bones and his immune system is eating/destroying all the red blood cells we get into him.

15. Ashley Holmes

Ashley Holmes New Member

Poor little thing. I'll pray that whatever decision you'll have would be the best for him.

16. liisa

liisa New Member

I'm so sorry. Hearing the 'news' we dread is always unbearable.

17. yuktisharma

yuktisharma New Member

Potential power of Double stemcell to grow new cells.

Double stemcell has his potential powers to creat damage cells like- Every plant has stem cells. But different in humans, every plant cell has the potential to dedifferentiate to a stem cell and to grow into an entirely new, full plant, Stemcell also grow newly cell that man get healthier back.Potential power of Double stemcell to grow new cells.

For more visit

Phytoscienceteamasia

18. My Dog Store

My Dog Store New Member

So sorry for your loss. Losing a dog can be one of the most difficult times in our lives, but with time and grieving you can move on, and think of the good memories you shared with your beloved dog.

19. Lindal

Lindal New Member

Ed, I am so sorry for your loss. We lost my dog on May 10, this year to Lymphoma. We were heartsick. I tried to make her last days the best they could be. We loved her so much, she was such a good girl. I cry everyday and felt so helpless just watching her get sicker. As I am writing this the tears are falling down my face.We must remember they are not suffering anymore. I believe and so do some of my friends that the products we give are dogs nowadays such as the heart worm, which Vets claim is safe and necessary, but has it been tested and proven to be safe? And I believe worse of all is the flea medicine I put on my dog Holly for all of her nine years. Its pure poison if it kills fleas and ticks when they bite that means that the poison is under their skin. This is my reasoning. I will never put that poison on another pet again. Take care.

20. Ed Miceli

Ed Miceli New Member

Lindal and everyone thanks for your kind words and support. It will be two years in October when I lost my good friend Bunny. I think about her often, daily and try to remember how happy her personality was. A very good friend of mine received bad news 3-4 weeks ago about her 15 year dog, diagnosed with Lymphoma. She hae her on predisone but will not put her through chemo