Rick and Ginger

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself (and your dog)' started by Rick L., Jun 8, 2018.

1. Rick L.

Rick L. New Member

I am Rick who is retired military and now airline employee. I have a dog named Ginger who 9 years ago "found," me as she was a stray, and a very abused one at that. Once I earned her trust she loved and trusted me "blindly." I could do anything (not bad) with her and she knew I'd never hurt her and seemed to enjoy it. Memorial Day, she woke me crying as if she had to go out. I took her out, but she followed me back inside and kept crying. I then noticed her irregular breathing and "hard belly." I took her to the emergency clinic as I thought I had hurt her the night before when I tripped over the dogs as they "bolted," for the door. The examination revealed a tumor on her spleen. Due to the costs I was going to have my vet remove her spleen the next day. However, that night her pain persisted despite medication so I took her back to the emergency clinic and had the surgery performed. Weds, I got the lab results and it is bad. This type of cancer is very aggressive and fatal. This news is devastating in many ways because of the relationship she and I have. Too look into her eyes and know there is little I can do to save her hits deep. Of all I experienced and saw in the military this always hurts deeply with all my pets. They are all rescued. Funny how an animal can reduce a "big tough guy," to mush. I hope that she forgives me when I have to make that fate decision and that God sees the good I attempted and takes care of her for me.

4Goldie likes this.
  2. Sherylon Smith

Sherylon Smith New Member

I feel your pain. I do not knwe how I will know if it is best to end life for my dog as he has always been a fighter. I can only hope I have more wisdom than I do now. God be with you and Ginger.

3. Rick L.

Rick L. New Member

Thank you Sherylon. Ginger had her first Chemo yesterday. She may know how sick she is and is trusting me to the best I can. She has cancer of the blood vessel linings which is fatal. I am doing this out of love and loyalty coupled with the fact neither of us wants to let go just yet. I still feel I have betrayed her in some form or fashion and ask myself what did I miss that could have prevented this. According to the Vets, this is something that occurs with little warning and is very aggressive. At most, we may have 6 months.

I pray that God gives you the wisdom for you and your dog. It is a very tough decision and a very painful one at that. Hugs and Peace.