new to forum need help

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself (and your dog)' started by diane, Jul 11, 2018.

  1. diane

    diane New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    hi my dog frankie at 11 years old lab staff cross rescue dog has a diagnosis of histolic sarcoma he has just come home from overnight ct scan at small animal hospital which advises us that he has tumours in lymph glands and spleenl. he is due to start chemo this weekend but am worried re effects.vet has told us it may not work and we will see deterioration in two weeks are we saying goodbye already to our frankies normal character if we start chemo as he will never be same he has pain relief for his osteoarthtitis can I have opinions please as am extremely confused and worried thankyou he is eating drinking walking pooing and weeing ok he even still chases cats
     
    #1 diane, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. Katie

    Katie New Member

    Joined:
    Monday
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello. I'm so sorry for you and your Frankie. Our 13-year-old, Elliott, was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. We worry about the same things. He had chemo today and, so far, is doing well. We don't want him to suffer and we refuse to put him through anything that will make him very sick. Talk to your vet and get all the facts. Quality of life matters. Prayers for you and Frankie.
     
  3. diane

    diane New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    prayers for you and elliott too. we decided not to start chemo as his cancer is too aggressive and side effects will cause problems only to delay inevitable. right now we have our frankie back he is on painkillers which are working well vet in agreement so just enjoying him until cancer decides to take him then decision will be made. wish your elliott well have good idea what you are going through xx
     
  4. Katie

    Katie New Member

    Joined:
    Monday
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Diane. Thanks for your reply. We don't know what stage Elliott has right now. We do know he has mild perihilar (lung) and sublumbar (spine) lymphadenopathy on x-ray. His other areas of swollen lymph nodes are below his jaw, scapula, and behind his knees. I don't know what this means as far as staging. They sent a specimen to Colorado to find out if he has T-cell or B-cell lymphoma. They did a bone marrow biopsy yesterday, so we are waiting for results of that too. Based on that, we will make our decision whether to continue with chemo. I'm just not feeling it. It's just delaying the obvious. We don't want him to suffer. Poisoning him to get more time is selfish. I know what it does to humans. I refuse to have him deal with it as a 25 lbs. Cocker Spaniel. This sucks.

    I'm not impressed with the vets we've seen. They aren't very friendly. The office staff are 50/50. I nearly popped the receptionist yesterday. She was flat out unsociable and unprofessional. My husband is coming with us next Monday. Hopefully by then we will know what the tests show.

    Prayers for you and Frankie. We know when it's time to let our pups go to the Rainbow Bridge. They seem to tell us with their eyes. Take care.
     
  5. diane

    diane New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    you need to have faith in the vets hopefully they will prove better for you. frankies eyes say an awful lot as you say its probably only way we will know when its time.
    if you are happy to share I would be happy to support you on your journey with elliott and I will talk about frankies journey.
     

    Attached Files:

Share This Page