After the splenectomy...

Discussion in 'Canine Hemangiosarcoma Related' started by Chloé & Zoey's Parents, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Chloé & Zoey's Parents

We just found out recently that our 10-yr old Chloé Bear had hemangiosarcoma on her spleen and a little on her liver. She had an emergency splenectomy and had some of her liver taken out too. I know reading online isn't always good but all I see is that she will have 3-6 months to live now. Is this really true? We are very fortunate that she made it through the surgery without any complications. Since the surgery, she is acting like a pup again and has a health appetite. We have decided not to do chemo for a number of reasons. We looked into a raw diet since her current kibble is HORRIBLE for her (Beneful). We are wanting some input on what we can give her to slow down this aggressive cancer. Any thoughts?

She is currently on a half raw/half kibble diet. She is currently eating Orijen 6 Fish, Stella & Cheey's Surf and Turf raw patties, fresh sardines, pumpkin, ginger, blueberries, broccoli, goats milk and thistle milk.

2. Loving golden mom

Loving golden mom New Member

Our 10 year old golden had hemangiosarcoma on his spleen and had a splenectomy on February 1st. He is eating well and acting like a pup again. We, too decided not to do chemo.

We are feeding him chicken, sweet potato, pumpkin, sardines, yogurt and apples in addition to grain free treats. We are also using a herbal treatment called Yunnan baiyao that has been shown to slow/stop the bleeding of the tumors. I'm Yunity is another herbal treatment that we are using.

When he was originally diagnosed, we were told that he would probably have 2-3 month without chemo, but we are hoping with the diet change and the herbal treatments that he will be happy and healthy for much longer.

How is your baby doing?

3. Chloé & Zoey's Parents

Unfortunately, our Chloé Bear passed away one month to the day after her splenectomy. This was a tough loss to both my husband and I for obvious dog loving reasons. We did talk to an oncologist and she told us that the diet our Chloé was on most likely slowed down the spread of the cancer.

Chloé ultimately threw a blood clot that went to her brain. Sounds like the herbs you are giving your golden are going to help the tumors from bleeding. Chloé is perfectly normal in the morning but when I came home after work, she was completely different.

I pray your baby lives a long time