8 Delicious Homemade Dog Treats

Discussion in 'Food and Nutrition' started by niluraj01, Feb 28, 2017.

1. niluraj01

niluraj01 New Member

If you treat your dog like a child, you will definitely want to cook something delicious for him or her once in a while. Homemade dog food is a simple way to make sure your pup is eating a healthy diet. Surely, you won’t treat your dog to these tasty meals every single day. Do it at least once a week. Your canine friend will thank you.

1. Valentine’s Day Treats

If you’re a single girl who’s going to celebrate Valentine’s Day with a pet, you might want to surprise your pup. Or, if you simply want to make your dog happy on February 14th, these colorful treats will do the trick. The dough is made with simple ingredients like water, brown rice flour, and apple puree.

2. Strawberry Dog Treats

While many fruits aren’t good for dogs, strawberries and bananas make a wonderful dog treat. Honestly, these are treats that any human being will love, not to mention your dog.

3. Sweet Potato Dog Treat Biscuits

Who said dogs don’t have a sweet tooth? They do have.
    My pup loves biscuits so when I found this recipe I decided to make these treats at once. The ingredient list is super simple and you can make a gluten-free version if needed.

4. Bacon and Cheddar Mutt fans Dog Treats

Treat your pup to one of the most delicious meals that even people love. Unless you are a vegetarian you have some bacon in the fridge and most likely you have cheddar as well.
    So, why not make mutt fans for your canine friend?

5. Homemade Apple Crisp Cracker Dog Treats

Apples are a healthy, affordable, low calorie and totally awesome treat for dogs, just like people. Apples are an excellent source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, and vitamin C.While your pup won’t eat a raw apple, you can suggest him or she try these apple crisp crackers.

6. Banana Carrot Dog Treats

Adding this healthy treat to your dog’s meal plan is a simple way to improve your pet’s health and boost the energy level. Carrots are low in calories and high in fiber and vitamin A.Bananas are good for every dog, but when combined with other healthy ingredients, they’re perfectly safe.

7. Pumpkin Dog Treats

Most dogs love pumpkin and if your pet is one of them, this delightful treat is your perfect bet. The recipe is simple and the ingredient list is budget-friendly.The only thing is that I don’t add salt to my dog treats. Salt is harmful to people, therefore it may be bad for dogs too.

8. Homemade Dog Biscuits

When was the last time your pup stole your biscuits? The great news is you can make healthy biscuits for your pet too. This easy-to-follow recipe will help you. You can mix and match your dog’s favorite ingredients to create your own recipes too.

When you have a pup, you realize that furry friend is a part of your family and no longer is an ordinary pet, but an actual person. You don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen making homemade treats for your dog as well as you don’t have to spend tons of money on expensive ingredients. Give some of these recipes a try to make your pup smile and happy today. But make sure you consult your vet before giving any homemade treat for the first time.

2. Ashley Holmes

Ashley Holmes New Member

Wow,

I didn't know that dog treats can be this special. All of them seem yummy!
    I personally think my dogs will like the banana carrot treats since my dogs love bananas(even the peel LOL).
    Can you tell me how to do that banana carrot treat? :)

3. niluraj01

niluraj01 New Member

HOW TO: CARROT & BANANA NATURAL DOG TREAT RECIPE

[​IMG]

We decided it was high time to make another bulk batch of homemade natural dog treats for Basil. Our last batch of fresh apple treats ran out fairly quickly and we've been wanting to try something new. Not only can the recipe base we use allow for all sorts of natural ingredient combinations, it really helps us cut down on the amount we spend on natural treat varieties from the store (plus, we can't help but think they are a tiny bit healthier knowing exactly what goes into them).

[​IMG]

This go round, we opted for fresh carrots and bananas in place of the apples from our first batch and forwent the brown sugar since the bananas are naturally sweet.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

We tripled the following recipe since we like to stock up. This yields us roughly 40 large 4" treats, so if you use a smaller size cookie cutter you'll get more than enough. If you're looking for a bone-shaped cookie cutter, Etsy is a good place to find various sizes and personalized options, like these.
    Ingredients:
    • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    • 1/2 cup cornmeal
    • 1 bunch fresh carrots, finely chopped or grated
    • 2-3 fresh bananas, peeled and mashed
    • 1 beaten egg
    • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
    • 1 tablespoon brown sugar (*optional, we went without)
    • 1/2 cup cold water

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheets.
    Combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal & *brown sugar) in large mixing bowl, then incorporate carrots, bananas, egg, oil, and water until well blended into workable dough.
    [​IMG]
    Note: With both the carrots and bananas, I chopped them into large pieces, then slowly pulsed them in our food processor. This not only saved me time but created semi-regular sized carrot chunks and smooth banana mash to blend right into the rest of the base ingredients. I left the pulsed carrot pieces fairly chunky instead of pureeing them because I like the idea of being able to see the actual carrot pieces throughout each treat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Flour your workspace and roll out dough to desired thickness. We went with about 1/2 inch thickness to allow for some expansion once baked. Cut cookies to desired shape and size — I used our 4-inch dog bone shape from a cookie cutter I bought off Etsy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Place dog cookies on baking sheet and bake 35 minutes...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Which one of these isn't like the other? See that little heart shaped cookie — I made that out of the leftover scraps of dough that wouldn't quite stretch into another bone shape. I'm saving it for Valentine's Day, shhh.
    Look who decided to wait by the oven just to make sure things were shaping up OK:
    [​IMG]
    After baking, turn oven off and leave cookies inside for another 30-45 minutes until crisp. This step is important to make sure your treats harden up, otherwise, they will remain like soft cookies.
    [​IMG]
    Once crisp, remove dog cookies from oven and let cool. Transfer to zipper bags or airtight containers and freeze to preserve freshness for your little one!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Basil was beyond thrilled with this batch, dare I say he enjoyed them even more than the apple treats! Here he is doing one of his favorite tricks — waiting patiently for the "OK" to eat the treat placed on his front paw:
    [​IMG]
    And again, not being quite as patient — but hey, can you blame him?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We're looking forward to trying out new variations on this go-to dog treat recipe and hope you'll let us know what's working for you if you try it out too!

Ashley Holmes and Jane&Odin like this.
  4. Ashley Holmes

Ashley Holmes New Member

Hi Niluraj01,

This is awesome. I think I will be enjoying making this banana and carrot dog treat.
    I already made a note of all the steps that you included.
    Although it would take time to make, it's definitely worth it to give it a try. Very nutritious as well.
    How many times do you give this treat to him in a day?:)

5. niluraj01

niluraj01 New Member

Do not feed more than a few pieces of any of these treats per day

Ask you anything:

Ashley Holmes likes this.
  6. niluraj01

niluraj01 New Member

You see my profile page?

I have a Website, Visit this website

7. Ashley Holmes

Ashley Holmes New Member

Hi niluraj01,

Got it. I'll definitely be checking your website.
    And by the way, really appreciate your posts. They are very helpful and informative.
    I hope I can still ask you questions if ever I have some again :)

8. niluraj01

niluraj01 New Member

You are most welcome. I'll try to help you.

Ashley Holmes likes this.
  9. Ashley Holmes

Ashley Holmes New Member

Thanks, niluraj01! Glad to know that :)

I have tried making the banana and carrot by the way, but I think I need days of practice to perfect it. LOL

I'm really hopeful that it'll be a good combination with the dog treats I just recently bought from petstreetmall for my dogs. :)